Sunday, September 17, 2006

It's new! It's the 1960s! I'm still saying it's new.

So, one Tuesday night, during pub trivia, I asked if Greg had seen the Pitchfork list of the 200 Greatest Songs of the 1960s.

"Not yet," he said. "Can we make a tournament out of it?"

Why yes... yes we can. Sure, they ranked everything, but why not put these songs through a little competition?

We will have songs from the British invasion, from Brazil, from France, from garages across the world. Patsy Cline vs. noise manipulators. Ode to Billy Joe vs. I Wanna Be Your Dog. Neil Diamond vs. Lou Reed. Also, I'm working on having all the songs we're covering (that's all but the bottom 8 on the list) available as zipped You Send It files.

If you want to see the entire bracketing, you can look at the Google spreadsheet. It's big, so I'll be splitting the sheets down in the near future.

Look for the first update middle of this week.