Tuesday, June 27, 2006

You may ask yourself-well...how did I get here?

#1 R.E.M., Radio Free Europe – 8 votes
defeats
#1 The Clash, London Calling – 6 votes

Analysis:
"When people ask what music I like (and they don't ever ask), and I know that they won't know who I'm referring to if I mention GbV or Wilco or something like that, I say R.E.M. is my favorite band. Then they say "That 'Everybody Hurts' song?" I say, "Yeah." They say, "That song sucks." I say, "Maybe, but have you heard 'The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite' or 'Exhuming McCarthy' or 'Talk About the - - -' Hey, where are you going? I like 'Hey Ya' and that Gnarls Barkley song, too! Really." R.E.M. gets the vote." - Rud

#1 Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart – 6 votes
defeats
#13 Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea – 5 votes
(2 abstentions)

Analysis:
"Joy Division. NMH should never have gotten past Marshall Crenshaw. " - Cranky Bitter Uncle Greg

#9 Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime – 8 votes
defeats
#6 Big Star, September Gurls – 6 votes

Analysis:
"Talking Heads -- Toughest decision this round. Big Star probably would have beat every other song. " - Mike

#9 Pixies, Debaser – 9 votes
defeats
#4 Replacements, I Will Dare – 5 votes

Analysis:
"And no songs by the Replacements feature Black Francis screaming. This is their flaw." - MMC

So now, on to... the Final Four? There's no funny name for this? Really? Okay. Cranky Uncle Greg has requested that I be "less Prussian" with the scheduling, so I'll make this due... oh, let's say Friday. Then give everyone about a week to vote for the winner. Moving on:

W#1 R.E.M., Radio Free Europe
vs.
MA#1 Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart

GP#9 Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime
vs.
FW#9 Pixies, Debaser