Sunday, May 14, 2006

I'd a danced like the king of the eyesores

Now is when I'll start making noises about some future tournament. Would you want one? About what? Email if you care. - Ms. L

#1 Talking Heads, Psycho Killer – 15 votes
defeats
#17 They Might Be Giants, Birdhouse in Your Soul – 5 votes

Analysis:
“I could never justify voting for TMBG. My worst musical moment ever came when I was playing Uncle Tupelo's "Atomic Power," and someone said, "This sounds like They Might Be Giants." That hurts. Talking Heads, out of spite.” - Rud

#9 David Bowie, Heroes – 15 votes
defeats
#8 Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights – 5 votes

Analysis:
“David Bowie--Even the Wallflowers couldnt ruin this one.” - Mike

#5 Breeders, Cannonball – 12 votes
defeats
#12 PJ Harvey, Down By The Water – 8 votes

Analysis:
“Breeders vs PJ Harvey - If this were about the bands I'd have to vote PJ but "Cannonball" is a better song.” - MMC

#13 Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over The Sea – 12 votes
vs.
#4 Radiohead, Paranoid Android – 4 votes
(4 abstentions)

Analysis:
“Abstain. Look, it's not that I have anything against either of these bands, it's just that I am clearly not cool enough to vote for either one.” - CDB


#19 My Bloody Valentine, Only Shallow – 12 votes
defeats
#3 Run-DMC, Rock Box – 8 votes

Analysis:
“I have to vote for Run-DMC--my boss named the protein we work on after it.” – SRF

#11 Minor Threat, Straight Edge – 10 votes
vs.
#6 The Cars, My Best Friend's Girl – 9 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
“I hate Minor Threat. Your X's look dumb. I don't like The Cars much, either. Either will lose to MBV. I vote for The Cars.” - Rud

#7 Gang of Four, I Love A Man in a Uniform – 10 votes
defeats
#10 The Ramones, Sheena is a Punk Rocker – 10 votes

Analysis:
“Gang of Four. The more GoF I hear (and there's been a ton lately on the music sites I check) the more I think Leah and I really jobbed them.” – CUG
He’s right, so they win the tie. There’s more Ramones. – Ms. L
“Gang of Four. I voted against that cover song by the Pretenders, but I will vote for Gang of Four covering Franz Ferdinand.” – Canadian Dave

#2 Elvis Costello, Alison – 10 votes
defeats
#15 Joy Division, Transmission – 10 votes

Analysis:
“Pop. Elvis.” - Rud

Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm CST Wednesday. Comment or email me. We'll post and tally the results then.

From the Southeast Regional, at Max's Kansas City, New York City, NY


#1 Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit (video)
vs.
#6 X-Ray Spex, Oh Bondage, Up Yours! (video)
When Poly Styrene got sick of the starmaking machine, she just became a Hare Krishna.

#9 R.E.M., The One I Love (video)
vs.
#8 The Shins, New Slang (video)
A lot of people didn't realize this R.E.M. song wasn't a love song; McDonald's apparently didn't notice the "dirt in your fries" line.

#5 Nick Drake, Pink Moon (VW ad -- look, this is why everyone knows it now)
vs.
#12 The Clash, White Man (in Hammersmith Palais) (video)
White man in a VW!

#13 Grandmaster Flash, The Message (video)
vs.
#4 Violent Femmes, Blister in the Sun (video)
Politics or self-lvoe?

#3 The Police, Roxanne (video)
vs.
#19 Franz Ferdinand, Take Me Out (video)
My mom's friend named her daughter after this Police song. Does that seem really wrong to anyone else?

#11 The Pixies, Gigantic (video)
vs.
#6 Big Star, September Gurls (video)
Clippy can just about die for putting these two up against each other.

#7 The Soft Boys, I Wanna Destroy You (DL from Archive.org)
vs.
#10 U2, Where the Streets Have No Name (video)
Both media files are from Chicago shows. The Soft Boys show was the night before Trashionals at Northwestern.

#15 Sinead O' Connor, Nothing Compares 2 U (video)
vs.
#2 Pearl Jam, Jeremy (video)
What a difference a year (and a grunge revolution) makes.