Thursday, May 04, 2006

Look out honey, ’cause I’m using technology

#1 Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart – 11 votes
defeats
#17 Jane's Addiction, Jane Says – 6 votes

Analysis:
“Joy Division, because it's the right thing to do. "Cred," you know?” - Rud

#9 The Clash, Train in Vain – 12 votes
defeats
#8 The Jam, That's Entertainment – 4 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
“The Jam - There was a song I'd heard on the radio that I didn't know the title of. There was also this song called "Train in Vain" that I thought I'd never heard. Then one day I realized they were one and the same. The reason I was confused for so long was because I thought the song wasn't cool enough to be by the Clash.” – Canadian Dave

#12 Television, Marquee Moon – 10 votes
defeats
#5 The Buzzcocks, Ever Fallen In Love? – 6 votes
(1 abstension)

Analysis:
“Television. Give me extended wankery or give me death.” - Rud

#4 The Ramones, Blitzkrieg Bop – 14 votes
defeats
#20 Liz Phair, Flower – 3 votes

Analysis:
“Blitzkrieg Bop: Once, at an indoor fooball game in South Dakota, I wrote alternate lyrics for this song that would explain the Zimmerman Note. Really, I kind of wish I were making that up. Later that night, in the middle of South Dakota, we listened to a third-rate soccer radio talk show. I'm not sure which was more confusing.

Hey, ho, Mexico, you fight them you get Texas...” - CDB

#3 Lou Reed, Walk on the Wild Side – 13 votes
defeats
#14 Soundgarden, Black Hole Sun – 4 votes

Analysis:
“Lou Reed, because a) I don't like Black Hold Sun and b) Walk on the Wild Side is the greatest karaoke song for the tone deaf (points thumb) ever.” - rud

#11 Talking Heads, Life During Wartime – 14 votes
vs.
#6 Public Image Ltd., This Is Not A Love Song – 2 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
“Talking Heads (though I get "This Is Not a Love Song" confused with "This Is a Rebel Song"--purely on prosody of titles, obviously--and that would just be a WEIRD cover)” - SRF

#23 Sonic Youth, Teen Age Riot – 11 votes
defeats
#7 Husker Du, Makes No Sense At All – 4 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
“Husker Du vs Sonic Youth - "Teen Age Riot." This match-up makes me sad.” - MMC

#2 Weezer, Undone (The Sweater Song) – 10 votes
defeats
#15 Joe Jackson, Is She Really Going Out With Him? – 5 votes
(2 abstensions)

Analysis:
“Joe Jackson - Is there a more overrated band than Weezer?” – Canadian Dave


Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm CST Sunday. Comment or email me.

From the Midwest Regional, at The Hacienda, Manchester, U.K.

#1 Clash, London Calling (video)
vs.
#16 Stooges, Search and Destroy (iTunes)
I'd muse about a possible second ex-lovers' matchup in this bracket (see 5 vs. 12 below) if I thought Iggy and company had any chance of winning this one.

#9 Elvis Costello, Radio, Radio (amazon)
vs.
#8 Wire, Three Girl Rhumba (lastFM, good luck with it)
If you voted for Elastica, you might want to vote for Wire, as you'd be voting for almost the same song, but better. No hate against this EC song, either, though.

#5 Velvet Underground, Heroin (video)
vs.
#12 David Bowie, Sound and Vision (video)
So, David Bowie slept with Lou Reed, right? And Iggy Pop? Did Iggy Pop ever sleep with Lou Reed? Because they should do that, and then all three should form a supergroup.

#13 Elliot Smith, Miss Misery (video)
vs.
#4 B-52s, Rock Lobster (video)
Ending a party or starting one?

#3 New Order, Blue Monday (video)
vs.
#19 Church, Under the Milky Way (video)
Are bagpipes the new mariachi horns?

#11 Duran Duran, Girls on Film (video (this time SFW))
vs.
#6 Pogues, Fairytale of New York (video)
Two songs Cranky Uncle Greg probably never needs to hear again; I only sing one of them while drunk. --L
[hey, Matt Dillon's in the Pogues video! --GS]

#7 Go-Gos, Our Lips Are Sealed (video)
vs.
#10 Nirvana, Lithium (video)
These will both be included in my One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest mixtape.

#18 Guided by Voices, I Am a Scientist (iTunes)
vs.
#2 Beck, Loser (video)
Voting for GBV because one is actually a scientist is eerily reminiscent of the dopey trixies who squeal "that's about ME!" whenever they hear "Brown-Eyed Girl." But identifying with Mr. Hansen is probably worse.--GS
You can only vote for one, but in real life, it's possible to be both. --L