Sunday, May 07, 2006

And all the world is biscuit-shaped, it's just for me to feed my face.

Elvis over Wire (not so indie). Pogues smash Duran Duran (indie!) Go-Gos beat Nirvana (not so indie). GBV outs Loser (indie AND anti-Scientologist!). You crazy kids! You confuse me, but I adore you. (I am clearly not Greg.)

#1 Clash, London Calling – 12 votes
defeats
#16 Stooges, Search and Destroy – 6 votes

Analysis:
“Clash - London Calling is cool enough to be by the Clash.” – Canadian Dave

#9 Elvis Costello, Radio, Radio – 11 votes
defeats
#8 Wire, Three Girl Rhumba – 7 votes

Analysis:
“elvis costello -- because i can never vote against elvis since he was so nice to me when i asked to kiss him.” - Amanda

#12 David Bowie, Sound and Vision – 12 votes
defeats
#5 Velvet Underground, Heroin – 6 votes

Analysis:
“I'm all for the supergroup. Hmmm...what if Mick Jagger...no, nevermind. Hey, hey bout that Keith Richards trepanning? Yeah. Anyway... Velvet Underground” – Tri-Elle

#13 Elliot Smith, Miss Misery – 10 votes
defeats
#4 B-52s, Rock Lobster – 8 votes

Analysis:
“LLTT vs B-52s - I think I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm generally not a fan of "fun" in my art/entertainment. This is a non sequitur because "Rock Lobster" is merely annoying.” - MMC

#3 New Order, Blue Monday – 12 votes
defeats
#19 Church, Under the Milky Way – 5 votes

Analysis:
“The Church - Any other two songs from these bands would have reversed the decision.” - Bunoich

#6 Pogues, Fairytale of New York – 14 votes
defeats
#11 Duran Duran, Girls on Film – 4 votes

Analysis:
“Fairytale of NY. Never mind its overplayedness: the Pogues were still one of the best live acts I've ever seen, and this is the one chance to vote for Kirsty MacColl.” – Cranky Uncle Greg

#7 Go-Gos, Our Lips Are Sealed – 10 votes
defeats
#10 Nirvana, Lithium – 7 votes

Analysis:
“I just voted for the Go-Gos over Nirvana. Wow.” - CDB

#18 Guided by Voices, I Am a Scientist – 10 votes
defeats
#2 Beck, Loser – 8 votes

Analysis:
“G-B-V! G-B-V! I am a Scientist was my gateway drug. Shoot myself with rock and roll, indeed.” - Rud

Now for the next round! I don't have many witty things to say tonight, so there will be no descriptions. Except for the second one, because I take great pleasure in mocking Billy Corgan. Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm CST Wednesday. Comment or email me. We'll post and tally the results then.

From the Great Plains Regional, at the 40 Watt Club, Athens, GA

#1 David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust (video)
vs.
#16 XTC, Senses Working Overtime (iTunes)

#9 Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime (video)
vs
#8 Smashng Pumpkins, 1979(video)
The guy in the big suit vs. Uncle Fester.

#5 Pretenders, Back on the Chain Gang (video)
vs.
#12 R.E.M., Driver 8 (iTunes)

#13 Kraftwerk, The Robots (video)
vs.
#4 Patti Smith, Gloria (video)

#3 Devo, Jocko Homo (video)
vs.
#19 Cracker, Low (iTunes)

#11 Flaming Lips, She Don't Use Jelly (video (90210 appearance))
vs.
#6 Matthew Sweet, Girlfriend (iTunes)

#7 The Strokes, Last Nite (video)
vs.
#10 Nick Lowe, Cruel to be Kind (video)

#15 Blur, Girls and Boys (video)
vs.
#2 Iggy Pop, Lust for Life (iTunes)