Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I'm the last splash.

Plans for the future: Come the round of 32, Cranky Uncle Greg and I are gonna put up a .zip file that contains all the remaining songs, so everyone can have them and listsen to them and make informed choices, yada yada. How do we feel about this? Good? Good:

#1 Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart – 12 votes
defeats
#9 Clash, Train in Vain – 8 votes

Analysis:
“ I have a far-fetched theory that The Clash, specifically my uncool-with-peers decision to see them in jr. high when the hip kids were seeing Rush, saved my life.” – Cranky Wistful Uncle Greg

#4 Ramones, Blitzkrieg Bop – 11 votes
defeats
#12 Television, Marquee Moon – 9 votes

Analysis:
“television (if you vote for the ramones, you're supporting theterrorists)” – Seth S

“Blitzkrieg Bop, because Tom Verlaine wasn't doing as much speed.” – JZ [Ms. L: I’m not sure that’s true, and also, you worry about me dumping you for your voting choices and then choose this? For this reason? Bold choice.]


#11 Talking Heads, Life During Wartime – 12 votes
defeats
#3 Lou Reed, Walk on the Wild Side – 8 votes

Analysis:
“"Life During Wartime" -- For the first time in my life, I'm not living at home or at a dorm with easy access to a dining hall, so suddenly the "I got some groceries, some peanu butter/to last a couple of days..." lyrics are much more meaningful.” – Jack B.

#23 Sonic Youth, Teen Age Riot – 12 votes
defeats
#2 Weezer, Undone – 8 votes

Analysis:
“Sonic Youth. Ms. L, just what were we smoking giving them a #24 seed?” – Cranky Uncle Greg [Ms. L: I believe it had something to do with them having no definitive single, being more of an album band, blah blah blah. And why aren't you asking this about GBV, too?]

#1 Clash, London Calling – 15 votes
defeats
#9 Elvis Costello, Radio, Radio – 5 votes

Analysis:
“The Clash vs Elvis Costello - "London Calling," because I can't vote against the Clash twice in one round. Also it's a better song.” - MMC


#12 David Bowie, Sound and Vision – 12 votes
vs.
#13 Elliot Smith, Miss Misery – 6 votes
(2 abstentions)

Analysis:
“Dammit, I can't use the "it's about sitting in your bedroom" test. But the "doo-doo doo-doo" wins it for Sound and Vision.” - JZ

#3 New Order, Blue Monday – 10 votes
defeats
#6 Pogues, Fairytale of New York – 7 votes
(3 abstentions)

Analysis:
“The Pogues were one of the best acts I've ever seen. New Order, on the other hand, stood around putting discs in drives. ho-hum.” – Cranky Uncle Greg

#18 Guided by Voices, I Am a Scientist – 11 votes
defeats
#7 Go-Gos, Our Lips Are Sealed – 8 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
”Guided By Voices--Will Ms. L tell us what the experiment was when its over?” – Mike [Ms. L: not my experiment, but I think it has something to do with this.]

Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm CST Sunday. Comment or email me.

From the Great Plains Regional, at the 40 Watt Club, Athens, GA
#1 David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust (video)
vs.
#9 Talking Heads, Once In A Lifetime (video)
Two nearly identical Heads vs. Bowie matchups today; only the seeds are reversed. How about some horsetrading here?

#12 R.E.M., Driver 8 (iTunes)
vs.
#4 Patti Smith, Gloria (video)
To be fair, I think even R.E.M. would vote for Patti. At least Peter Buck and Michael Stipe. That Mike Mills is a wild one.

#3 Devo, Jocko Homo (video)
vs.
#6 Matthew Sweet, Girlfriend (video)
Best thing out of Ohio vs. best thing out of Nebraska in the Battle of That's Not Saying Much.

#10 Nick Lowe, Cruel to be Kind (video)
vs.
#2, Iggy Pop, Lust for Life (video)
Cruel to be Kind of Lusty for Life: The Iggy Pop Story.

From the South Regional, at the Whisky-A-Go-Go, Los Angeles, CA
#1 Talking Heads, Psycho Killer (video)
vs.
#9 David Bowie, Heroes (video)
as I was saying above...

#5 Breeders, Cannonball (video)
vs.
#13, Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (video)
Is there enough Pixies loyalty in this bunch to overcome NMH? (My guess: no.)

#19 My Bloody Valentine, Only Shallow (video)
vs.
#11 Minor Threat, Straight Edge (iTunes)
Look at the things you can do with guitars!

#7 Gang of Four, I Love a Man in a Uniform (download)
vs.
#2 Elvis Costello, Alison (video)
Marxism vs. bitter love. How very UK in the 70s and early 80s.