Sunday, May 28, 2006

I am a lost soul, I shoot myself with rock 'n' roll.

The second round is done, people! 64 songs remain.

#1 U2, I Will Follow - 9 votes
defeats
#17 De La Soul, Me Myself and I - 6 votes

Analysis:
“I Will Follow - At this point, I think I'm just voting U2 whenever possible to annoy Susan.” - Danimal

#9 Nirvana, All Apologies – 13 votes
defeats
#8 Green Day, Longview – 2 votes

Analysis:
“Nirvana. I don't feel like voting for a song that rhymes "motivation" with "motivation”.” – The GZA

#5 Sleater-Kinney, I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone – 8 votes
defeats
#12 Specials, A Message To You Rudy – 7 votes

Analysis:
“sleater-kinney ("i wanna be your thurston moore" -- is there anything more indie?)” - Amanda

#4 Replacements, I Will Dare – 12 votes
defeats
#13 Dead Kennedys, Kalifornia Uber Alles – 3 votes

Analysis:
“Replacements--Not my favorite 'Mats tune, but I feel I have to somehow make up for the fact that "Left of the Dial" went up against "Summer Babe".” - Mike

#3 Mission of Burma, Academy Fight Song – 9 votes
defeats
#19 Pulp, Common People – 6 votes

Analysis:
“Mission of Burma, even though they're not not not not not not not not going to advance.” – Cranky Incorrect Uncle Greg

#6 Belle & Sebastian, If You're Feeling Sinister – 11 votes
defeats
#11 Oasis, Supersonic – 4 votes

Analysis:
“Belle & Sebastian--See Replacements comment above only substitute "Lazy Line Painter Jane" for "Left of the Dial" and "How Soon is Now" for "Summer Babe"...oh, and "one of my favorite" for "not..."” – Mike

#10 Beck, Where It's At – 8 votes
defeats
#7 Bjork, Army of Me – 7 votes

Analysis:
“Björk. Though the Matthew Barney relationship is a liability approaching Beck's Scientology.” – Cranky Uncle Greg

#2 Nine Inch Nails, Head Like a Hole – 12 votes
defeats
#15 Dead Milkmen, Bitchin' Camaro – 3 votes

Analysis:
“I have only heard Leah cover one of these artists as "Elmo Sing Dirty". Nine Inch Nails it is.” - SRF


Here are the next 8 matchups. Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm CST Wednesday. Comment or email me. We'll post and tally the results then.

From the Mid-Atlantic Regional, at The Middle East, Cambridge, MA
#1 Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart (video)
vs.
#9 Clash, Train in Vain (video)
The Clash vid is a double shot of Train in Vain and London Calling (which is in a matchup below).

#12 Television, Marquee Moon (iTunes)
vs.
#4 Ramones, Blitzkrieg Bop (video)
Counting this matchup, "Marquee Moon" is still 2:28 longer than all the songs it's faced.

#3 Lou Reed, Walk on the Wild Side (video)
vs.
#11 Talking Heads, Life During Wartime (video)
Another battle of NYC.

#23 Sonic Youth, Teen Age Riot (video)
vs.
#2 Weezer, Undone (video)
Guess which band is playing the Minnesota State Fair this summer?

From the Midwest Regional, at The Hacienda, Manchester, U.K.
#1 Clash, London Calling (video)
vs.
#9 Elvis Costello, Radio, Radio (amazon)
Even though SNL pulled all the performances from YT, I know a proper "Radio, Radio" video was made...not sure why it never popped up on the nets. Hell, "I Wanna Be Loved" is up there...

#12 David Bowie, Sound and Vision (video)
vs.
#13 Elliot Smith, Miss Misery (video)
I got nothing here, so here's Klaus Nomi singing Falling in Love Again.

#3 New Order, Blue Monday (video)
vs.
#6 Pogues, Fairytale of New York (video)
I'm curious about this reunited Pogues, so here's a clip from 2005 (sans Kirsty MacColl, of course). Odd standards & practices in the UK..."arse" gets bleeped but "faggot" stands?

#7 Go-Gos, Our Lips Are Sealed (video)
vs.
#18 Guided by Voices, I Am a Scientist (video)
Be quiet or you'll ruin my experiment.