Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I'm on the dark side of the road.

Back! Let's get to it with the results for the first region:

#17 Everybody’s Talkin’, Harry Nilsson – 5 votes
defeats
#16 For What It’s Worth, Buffalo Springfield – 4 votes
(1 abstention)

“FWIW - I was about to go the other way, saying a Space Ghost parody trumps a pretty good Muppet Show sketch, but then the waah wahhh bit started...killed it dead.” – Cranky Uncle Greg, coming strong with the cranky really early.


#9 California Dreamin’, The Mamas & the Papas – 8 votes
defeats
#24 I’m Still in Love With You, Alton Ellis – 2 votes

“I'm Still In Love With You. I like my well-defined seasons, thanks. Screw SoCal.” – Cranky! Uncle! Greg!


#21 She’s Not There, The Zombies – 7 votes
defeats
#12 Give Him a Great Big Kiss, The Shangri-Las – 2 votes

“I feel bad voting against a band who has an album titled "Myrmidons of Melodrama"...but I'm voting for the Animals.” - SRF


#20 A Minha Menina, Os Mutantes – 5 votes
defeats
#13 Pressure Drop, The Maytals – 3 votes
(2 abstentions)

Aww. Y’all know how much I love Os Mutantes, don’t you? – Ms. L


#19 Stand By Your Man, Tammy Wynette – 8 votes
defeats
#14 It’s Gonna Rain, Steve Reich – 1 vote
(1 abstention)

“Stand By Your Man. I'm down with experimental noise, but It's Gonna Rain isn't even interesting.” – CUG, who hates because he loves… to hate.


#22 Here I Go Again, Archie Bell & the Drells – 5 votes
defeats
#11 Crying, Roy Orbison – 4 votes
(1 abstention)

“Ok, this one is a tough one. "Crying" is a better song, but I have to vote for "Here I Go Again" because the inclusion of a song by Archie Bell and the Drells, from Houston, Texas, who dance just as good as they walk, that isn't "Tighten Up" is tremendous.” – WBF [“Tighten Up” is coming, my friend. – Ms. L]

#10 Subterranean Homesick Blues, Bob Dylan – 9 votes
defeats
#23, Egyptian Shumba, The Tammys – 1 vote

“#10 Subterranean Homesick Blues, Bob Dylan. This is where I throw the signs, right?” - CDB


#18 Ode to Billie Joe, Bobbie Gentry – 6 votes
defeats
#15 Friday on My Mind, The Easybeats – 3 votes

“Ode to Billie Joe, it's a story song, it's a Southern Gothic song, and it contains the word "Choctaw." It's positively Faulknerian.” – WBF, and amen.

Download all these songs here.

From the Mid-Atlantic Regional, at Abbey Road Studios, London, UK

#16 Wichita Lineman, Glen Campbell
vs.
#17 Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Jimi Hendrix
This is an apples and oranges round. Studio-slick country or crazy guitar?

#9 Sweet Thing, Van Morrison
vs.
#24 Get Ready, The Temptations
I'm a little biased; "Sweet Thing" is the song I play first on every piece of audio equipment I buy. But this is a great Temptations song, too.

#21 Monk Time, The Monks
vs.
#12 River Man, Nick Drake
Angry G.I.s making protopunk or sensitive, doomed English folkie?

#13 21st Century Schizoid Man, King Crimson
vs.
#20 Stay With Me, Lorraine Ellison
Crazy dudes or smooth soul?

#14 America, Simon & Garfunkel
vs.
#19 Never My Love, The Association
Two of the softest songs this round face off.

#11 You Really Got Me, The Kinks
vs.
#22 Uptight (Everything's Alright), Stevie Wonder
Both will rouse you; do you like dirty guitar or Motown?

#10 Don't Think Twice, It's All Right, Bob Dylan
vs.
#23 Mother Popcorn (You Got to Have a Mother For Me), James Brown
Kiss-off or come-on?

#15 96 Tears, ? and the Mysterians
vs.
#18 Iko Iko, The Dixie Cups
A classic track from the Nuggets comp or a cute, somewhat primitive ditty covered by Cyndi Lauper?

Post your votes in the comments; we'll tally and post the results on Wednesday, October 4th. But for real this time!