Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I'm in love with the radio on

Konichiwa, bitches.

#1 Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit – 13 votes
defeats
#6 X-Ray Spex, Oh Bondage, Up Yours! – 8 votes

Analysis:
“Smells Like Teen Spirit - "How can I not vote for this? I AM a slacker!"” - Danimal

#9 R.E.M., The One I Love – 13 votes
defeats
#8 The Shins, New Slang – 7 votes
(1 neither)

Analysis:
“Don't make me choose! I love them both. Well, if both these songs were stuck in a burning building and I could only save one, I would save 'The One I Love', but I would remember 'New Slang' eternally while I wiped a tear away in remembrance. To be clear: 'The One I Love' would not be the one I left behind.” – Tri-L

#12 The Clash, White Man (in Hammersmith Palais) – 11 votes
defeats
#5 Nick Drake, Pink Moon – 9 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
“#5 Nick Drake, Pink Moon. Hell, if I had been in the market for a car back when that ad was airing, I would have thought about it solely because of Mr. Drake.” - CDB

#4 Violent Femmes, Blister in the Sun – 11 votes
defeats
#13 Grandmaster Flash, The Message – 10 votes

Analysis:
“Message. You haven't cringed until you've heard the Everlast cover of "Blister in the Sun."” - JZ

#19 Franz Ferdinand, Take Me Out – 13 votes
defeats
#3 The Police, Roxanne – 8 votes

Analysis:
“Take Me Out - Any band that decides after the first verse, "You know what? Fuck it, let's do another song," is tops in my book.” - Danimal

#6 Big Star, September Gurls – 11 votes
defeats
#11 The Pixies, Gigantic – 9 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
“Big Star (It feels really weird to be voting agains the Pixies.)” - Cokehead Matt

#10 U2, Where the Streets Have No Name – 12 votes
defeats
#7 The Soft Boys, I Wanna Destroy You – 9 votes

Analysis:
“The Soft Boys, or cats being tortured, or whatever else y'all care to put up against U2.” - SRF

#15 Sinead O' Connor, Nothing Compares 2 U – 13 votes
defeats
#2 Pearl Jam, Jeremy – 7 votes
(1 abstention)

Analysis:
“Sinead O'Connor - The Pearl Jam that people make fun of is encapsulated in "Jeremy." The overly IMPORTANT subject matter, the Eddie Vedder faces, the melodrama.” – Canadian Dave

No funny comments this time, as I need to get to work and am reeling over the difficulty of these matchups (except the second one). Voting for this round will end at 9:00pm CST Sunday. Comment or email me.

#1 R.E.M., Radio Free Europe (video)
vs.
#16 Squeeze, Pulling Mussels (From the Shell) (iTunes)

#24 King Missile, Jesus Was Way Cool (video)
vs.
#8 Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams (video)

#5 Public Enemy, Bring the Noise (iTunes)
vs.
#12 X, Los Angeles (video)

#13 Pet Shop Boys, What Have I Done to Deserve This? (video)
vs.
#4 Blondie, Heart of Glass (video)

#3 Pixies, Here Comes Your Man (video)
vs.
#14 Cowboy Junkies, Sweet Jane (video)

#11 Billy Bragg, A New England (video)
vs.
#6 Portishead, Sour Times (video)

#7 Pavement, Summer Babe (iTunes)
vs.
#10 Replacements, Left of the Dial (iTunes)

#15 Wilco, I Am Trying to Break Your Heart (iTunes)
vs.
#2 Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, Roadrunner (iTunes)